Here You Can Download NCERT Solutions Class 9 English Chapter 5 The Snake And The Mirror In Pdf, All Ncert Solutions Class 9 To 12 All Subjects
(Link of Pdf File is given below at the end of the Question s list)
Discuss in pairs and answer each question below in a short paragraph (30 â 40 words).
1. âThe sound was familiar one.â What sound did the doctor hear? What did he think it was? How many times did he hear it? (Find the places in the text.) When and why did the sounds stop?
2. What two âimportantâ and âearth-shakingâ decisions did the doctor take while he was looking into the mirror?
3. âI looked into the mirror and smiled,â says the doctor. A little later he says, âI forgot my danger and smiled feebly at myself.â What is the doctorâs opinion about himself when: (i) he first smiles, and (ii) he smiles again? In what way do his thoughts change in between, and why?sitting on his shoulder and that is when he realized the gravity of the situation.
This story about a frightening incident is narrated in a humorous way. What makes it humorous? (Think of the contrasts it presents between dreams and reality. Some of them are listed below.)
1. (i) The kind of person the doctor is (money, possessions)
(ii) The kind of person he wants to be (appearance, ambition)
2. (i) The person he wants to marry
(ii) The person he actually marries
3. (i) His thoughts when he looks into the mirror
(ii) His thoughts when the snake is coiled around his arm
Write short paragraphs on each of these to get your answer.
Here are some sentences from the text. Say which of them tell you, that the author:
(a) was afraid of the snake, (b) was proud of his appearance, (c) had a sense of humour, (d) was no longer afraid of the snake.
1. I was turned to stone.
2. I was no mere image cut in granite.
3. The arm was beginning to be drained of strength.
4. I tried in my imagination to write in bright letters outside my little heart the words, âO Godâ.
5. I didnât tremble. I didnât cry out.
6. I looked into the mirror and smiled. It was an attractive smile.
7. I was suddenly a man of flesh and blood.
8. I was after all a bachelor, and a doctor too on top of it!
9. The fellow had such a sense of cleanliness...! The rascal could have taken it and used it after washing it with soap and water.
10. Was it trying to make an important decision about growing a moustache or using eye shadow and mascara or wearing a vermilion spot on its forehead?
Can you find the expressions in the story that tell you that the author was frightened? Read the story and complete the following sentences.
1. I was turned ___________________________________________________.
2. I sat there holding _______________________________________________.
3. In the light of the lamp I sat there like _______________________________.
In the sentences given below some words and expressions are italicised. Thevariously mean that one
â˘ is very frightened.
â˘ is too scared to move.
â˘ is frightened by something that happens suddenly.
â˘ makes another feel frightened.
Match the meanings with the words/expressions in italics, and write the appropriatmeaning next to the sentence. The first one has been done for you.
1. I knew a man was following me, I was scared out of my wits. (very frightened)
2. I got a fright when I realised how close I was to the cliff edge.
3. He nearly jumped out of his skin when he saw the bull coming towards him.
4. You really gave me a fright when you crept up behind me like that.
5. Wait until I tell his story â it will make your hair stand on end.
6. Paralysed with fear, the boy faced his abductors.
7. The boy hid behind the door, not moving a muscle.
Report these questions using if/whether or why/when/where/how/which/what. Remember the italicised verbs change into the past tense.
1. Meena asked her friend, âDo you think your teacher will come today?â
2. David asked his colleague, âWhere will you go this summer?â
3. He asked the little boy, âWhy are you studying English?â
4. She asked me, âWhen are we going to leave?â
5. Pran asked me, âHave you finished reading the newspaper?â
6. Seema asked her, âHow long have you lived here?â
7. Sheila asked the children âAre you ready to do the work?â
Please send your queries to email@example.com you can aslo visit our facebook page to get quick help. Link of our facebook page is given in sidebar
Copyright @ ncerthelp.com A free educational website for CBSE, ICSE and UP board.