NCERT Solutions For Class 10 English Chapter 11 The Proposa Download In Pdf
(Link of Pdf File is given below at the end of the Questions list)
1. This play has been translated into English from the Russian original. Are there any expressions or ways of speaking that strike you as more Russian than English? For example, would an adult man be addressed by an older man as my darling or my treasure in an English play?
Read through the play carefully, and find expressions that you think are not used in contemporary English, and contrast these with idiomatic modern English expressions that also occur in the play.
3. Look up the following phrases in a dictionary to find out their meaning, and then use each in a sentence of your own.
(i) You may take it that
(ii) He seems to be coming round
(iii) My footâ€™s gone to sleep
What does Chubukov at first suspect that Lomov has come for? Is he sincere when he later says â€śAnd Iâ€™ve always loved you, my angel, as if you were my own sonâ€ť? Find reasons for your answer from the play.
Chubukov says of Natalya: â€ś... as if she wonâ€™t consent! Sheâ€™s in love; egad, sheâ€™s like a lovesick catâ€¦â€ť Would you agree? Find reasons for your answer.
(i) Find all the words and expressions in the play that the characters use to speak about each other, and the accusations and insults they hurl at each other. (For example, Lomov in the end calls Chubukov an intriguer; but earlier, Chubukov has himself called Lomov a â€śmalicious, double faced intriguer.â€ť Again, Lomov begins bydescribing Nayalya as â€ś an excellent housekeeper, not bad-looking, well-educated.â€ť)
You mush have noticed that when we report someoneâ€™s exact words, we have to make some changes in the sentence structure. In the following sentences fill in the blanks to list the changes that have occurred in the above pairs of sentences. One has been done for you.
1. To report a question, we use the reporting verb asked (as in Sentence Set 1).
2. To report a declaration, we use the reporting verb __________.
3. The adverb of place here changes to ___________.
4. When the verb in direct speech is in the present tense, the verb in reported speech is in the ______________ tense (as in Sentence Set 3).
5. If the verb in direct speech is in the present continuous tense, the verb in reported speech changes to ______________tense. For example, ____________ changes to was getting.
6. When the sentence in direct speech contains a word denoting respect, we add the adverb _______________in the reporting clause (as in Sentence Set 1).
7. The pronouns I, me, our and mine, which are used in the first person in direct speech, change to third person pronouns such as____________, ___________, ___________ or __________in reported speech.
Here is an excerpt from an article from the Times of India dated 27 August 2006. Rewrite it, changing the sentences in direct speech into reported speech. Leave the other sentences unchanged. â€śWhy do you want to know my age? If people know I am so old, I wonâ€™t get work!â€ť
laughs 90-year-old A. K. Hangal, one of Hindi cinemaâ€™s most famous character actors. For his age, he is rather energetic. â€śWhatâ€™s the secret?â€ť we ask. â€śMy intake of everything is in small quantities. And I walk a lot,â€ť he replies. â€śI joined the industry when people retire. I was in my 40s. So I donâ€™t miss being called a star. I am still respected and given work, when actors of my age are living in poverty and without work. I donâ€™t have any complaints,â€ť he says, adding, â€śbut yes, I have always been underpaid.â€ť Recipient of the Padma Bhushan, Hangal never hankered after money or materialistic gains. â€śNo doubt I am content today, but money is important. I was a fool not to understand the value of money earlier,â€ť he regrets.
Please send your queries to email@example.com you can aslo visit our facebook page to get quick help. Link of our facebook page is given in sidebar
Copyright @ ncerthelp.com A free educational website for CBSE, ICSE and UP board.