Download NCERT Solutions for class 9 English
Chapter 7 Packing
(Link of Pdf File is given below at the end of the Question s list)
In this pdf file you can see answers of following Questions
Discuss in pairs and answer each question below in a short paragraph (30 ? 40
1. How many characters are there in the narrative? Name them. (Don’t forget the
2. Why did the narrator (Jerome) volunteer to do the packing?
3. How did George and Harris react to this? Did Jerome like their reaction?
4. What was Jerome’s real intention when he offered to pack?
5. What did Harris say after the bag was shut and strapped? Why do you think he
waited till then to ask?
6. What “horrible idea” occurred to Jerome a little later?
7. Where did Jerome finally find the toothbrush?
8. Why did Jerome have to reopen the packed bag?
9. What did George and Harris offer to pack and why?
10. While packing the hamper, George and Harris do a number of foolish and funny
things. Tick the statements that are true.
(i) They started with breaking a cup.
(ii) They also broke a plate.
(iii) They squashed a tomato.
(iv) They trod on the butter.
(v) They stepped on a banana.
(vi) They put things behind them, and couldn’t find them.
(vii) They stepped on things.
(viii) They packed the pictures at the bottom and put heavy things on top.
(ix) They upset almost everything.
(x) They were very good at packing.
What does Jerome say was Montmorency’s ambition in life? What do you think of
Montmorency and why?
Montmorency’s ambition in life was to get in the way and get scolded. It felt that its
day was not a waste if it could go anywhere where he was not wanted and be a
perfect nuisance, make people mad, and have things thrown at its head. Its highest
aim was to get somebody to stumble over it and curse it steadily for an hour. Whenit succeeded in accomplishing this, its pride in itself became unbearable.
Discuss in groups and answer the following questions in two or three paragraphs
(100 ?150 words)
1. Of the three, Jerome, George and Harris, who do you think is the best or worst
packer? Support your answer with details from the text.
2. How did Montmorency ‘contribute’ to the packing?
3. Do you find this story funny? What are the humorous elements in it?
(Pick out at least three, think about what happens, as well as how it is described.)
Match the words/phrases in Column A with their meanings in Column B.
Use suitable words or phrases from Column A above to complete the paragraphgiven below.
A Traffic Jam
During power cuts, when traffic lights go off, there is utter __________ atcrossroads. Drivers add to the confusion by __________ over their right of way, andnearly come to blows. Sometimes passers-by, seeing a few policemen __________at regulating traffic, step in to help. This gives them a feeling of having __________something.