Download NCERT Solutions for class 9 English
Chapter 3 The Little Girl
(Link of Pdf File is given below at the end of the Question s list)
In this pdf file you can see answers of following Question s
Given below are some emotions that Kezia felt. Match the emotions in the Column A
with the items in Column B.
Answer the following questions in one or two sentences.
1. Why was Kezia afraid of her father?
2. Who were the people in Kezia’s family?
3. What was Kezia’s father’s routine
(i) before going to his office?
(ii) after coming back from his office?
(iii) on Sundays?
4. In what ways did Kezia’s grandmother encourage her to get to know her father
Discuss these questions in class with your teacher and then write down your answers
in two or three paragraphs each.
1. Kezia’s efforts to please her father resulted in displeasing him very much. How did
2. Kezia decides that there are “different kinds of fathers”. What kind of father was
Mr. Macdonald, and how was he different from Kezia’s father?
3. How does Kezia begin to see her father as a human being who needs her
Glad, happy, pleased, delighted, thrilled and overjoyed are synonyms (words expressions that have the same or nearly the same meaning.) However, theexpress happiness in certain ways.
1. Use an appropriate word from the synonyms given above in the followinsentences. Clues are given in brackets.
(i) She was __________ by the news of her brother’s wedding. (very pleased)
(ii) I was __________to be invited to the party. (extremely pleased and exciteabout)
(iii) She was __________ at the birth of her granddaughter. (extremely happy)
(iv) The coach was __________ with his performance. (satisfied about)
(v) She was very __________ with her results. (happy about something that hahappened)
2. Study the use of the word big in the following sentence.
He was so big − his hands and his neck, especially his mouth…
Here, big means large in size.
Now, consult a dictionary and find out the meaning of big in the following sentenceThe first one has been done for you.
(i) You are a big girl now. Older
(ii) Today you are going to take the biggest decision of your career. _________
(iii) Their project is full of big ideas. _________
(iv) Cricket is a big game in our country. _________
(v) I am a big fan of Lata Mangeskar. _________
(vi) You have to cook a bit more as my friend is a big eater. _________
(vii) What a big heart you’ve got, Father dear. _________
1. Underline the verbs of reporting in the following sentences.
(i) He says he will enjoy the ride.
(ii) Father mentioned that he was going on a holiday.
(iii) No one told us that the shop was closed.
(iv) He answered that the price would go up.
(v) I wondered why he was screaming.
(vi) Ben told her to wake him up.
(vii) Ratan apologised for coming late to the party.
2. Some verbs of reporting are given in the box. Choose the appropriate verbs and
fill in the blanks in the following sentences.
(i) “I am not afraid,” __________ the woman.
(ii) “Leave me alone,” my mother __________.
(iii) The children __________ that the roads were crowded and noisy.
(iv) “Perhaps he isn’t a bad sort of a chap after all,” __________the master.
(v) “Let’s go and look at the school ground,” __________ the sports teacher.(vi) The traffic police __________ all the passers-by to keep off the road.